|SIGNY [ the dwarf mage ] (signyature) wrote,|
@ 2010-03-20 21:58:00
I am not resigned to the shutting away of loving hearts in the hard ground.
So it is, and so it will be, for so it has been, time out of mind:
Body and Appearance
1. Describe the character's height and build. Is she heavyset, thin, short, rangy? Signy is short, like all dwarves, solid and wide in shoulder and hip; she's four feet, three inches in bare feet, but she isn't muscular or particularly heavy. She's still young, and has always had a bit of a weak constitution; she is delicate, and at a distance can resemble a human child now and again.
2. How old is she? Twenty, just barely.
3. Describe her posture. Does she carry herself well or does she slouch? She has good posture, straight-backed, generally, especially now that she's surrounded by such taller companions.
4. How is her health? Is she fit or out of shape? Any illnesses or conditions? Any physical disabilities?
5. How does she move? Is she clumsy, graceful, tense, fluid? Hesitantly, especially when she is outside; most of Signy's motions are small, often interrupted by thought and doubt, except for when she is working on something.
6. How attractive is this character physically? How does she perceive herself in the mirror?
7. Describe her complexion. Dark, light, clear, scarred? Very pale; she has spent her life underground, barring the last few months. And now that she's in the sunlight, Signy tends to get sunburn, and then use magic to heal the burns, effectively effacing most of the tan she'd otherwise be getting.
8. Describe her hair: color, texture, style. Long, pale blonde, tending towards natural curled strands; Signy grew her hair out after being made noble, when lighting on fire in the forge was no longer a risk.
9. What color are her eyes? Brown.
10. Does the character have any other noteworthy features? She has a brand on her cheek, recently gained after her expulsion from Orzammar.
11. What are her chief tension centers?
12. What is the character's wardrobe like? Casual, dressy, utilitarian? Bright colors, pastels, neutrals? Is it varied, or does she have six of the same suit? Signy verges on the border between fancy and practical, loving fine gowns and pretty things but having to trudge around in the mud of the Bannorn more often than not (or get swamped down in Darkspawn blood and Ancestors know what else). She is most often either found in a dress or slightly odd mage robes (odd for being made for a very small mage, for one thing), usually of archaic or foreign design.
13. Do her clothes fit well? Does she seem comfortable in them? The mage robes always look a bit odd; it's the size. Dresses seem more fitting for Signy; she looks at home in finery, for the most part.
14. Does she dress the same on the job as she does in her free time? If not, what are the differences? "On the job", as it were, Signy is more likely to be in robes, or even trousers if she thinks she's actually going to have to troop around in the mud and muck all that much.
15. You knew it was coming: Bikinis, briefs or commando? Dur, haven't you see the standard Dragon Age underwear? DA:O taught us that everyone wears that, regardless of all sense of practicality or logic.
1. What does this character's voice sound like? High-pitched, deep, hoarse? Her voice is quiet, of middling pitch (singing, she'd be a mezzo soprano) and a soft quality, with a tendency to inflect upwards at the end of sentences, even when she's not asking a question.
2. How does she normally speak? Loud, soft, fast, evenly? Does she talk easily, or does she hesitate? Signy hesitates when she's nervous, sometimes stumbling over her words, but she can also start talking and then just go, rambling and questioning endlessly. Her natural speed of speech is actually fairly quick.
3. Does the character have a distinct accent or dialect? Any individual quirks of pronunciation? Any, like, you know, verbal tics? Her accent is from Orzammar (which, translated into real-world terms, gives her an American accent while most Fereldans sound more English/British).
4. What language/s does she speak, and with how much fluency? She speaks the Ferelden tongue fluently––since Orzammar relies so heavily on trade, most dwarves learn both, and some add Orleasian, but Signy's Orleasian is poor at best. She knows about as much Dwarva as anyone born in Orzammar, at least anyone who isn't a Shaper. Which is to say, she knows common phrases and words, but couldn't hold a real conversation. She reads the script, but very haltingly.
5. Does she switch languages or dialects in certain situations?
6. Is she a good impromptu speaker, or does she have to think about her words? She'd have to think to speak persuasively or very well; without thinking, Signy's words race ahead of her thoughts, frequently, and she ends up saying silly things, or confusing herself.
7. Is she eloquent or inarticulate? Under what circumstances might this change? Signy is neither particularly eloquent nor apt to fumble over her words to a strong degree; she sits rather solidly in the middle of expressive skill.
Mental and Emotional
1. How intelligent is this character? Is she book-smart or street-smart? She's far more book-smart and learned (although not necessarily educated, by surface standards) than she is street-smart. In fact, in many things Signy is remarkably naive and unknowledgeable when it comes to practical/everyday matters. Her hands-on intelligence is probably the best of all; Signy is good at picking up skills quickly, doing things with her hands, and making things.
2. Does she think on her feet, or does she need time to deliberate? Signy makes most of her important decisions on impulse, and thinks fairly well on her feet and in immediate situations and snap judgements; deliberation later only incites doubt and second-guessing (which she is all too familiar with).
3. Describe the character's thought process. Is she more logical, or more intuitive? Idealistic or practical? Generally, Signy is practical, although with a hint of idealism that is not so much "how I want the world to be" as a naive "how I imagine the world is"; this is unreliable, as her worldview is at the same time very pragmatic (in relation to things like sex, business, and politics) and very innocent (
4. What kind of education has the character had? She trained as an apprentice Smith in Orzammar, which included beyond the actual trade skills, reading, writing, and basic arithmetic, history (mostly of the dwarves),
5. What are her areas of expertise? What, if anything, is she interested in learning more about? She's an expert, or close to it, at blacksmithing and other metalwork; she also knows
6. Is she an introvert or an extrovert? Signy is absolutely an introvert, and the kind of person who fares better in intimate settings rather than crowds; with small groups she trusts rather than large parties; she is quiet and she tends to keep things to herself as long as they're not questions.
7. Describe the character's temperament. Is she even-tempered or does she have mood swings? Cheerful or melancholy? Laid-back or driven? She is mostly even-tempered, although she does have a tendency towards petulance and a sort of sullen anger (rather than a flashy temper or a fast one); she is driven rather than laid back, coming from a culture that prizes diligence and hard work and from a family that pushed her to Be the Best when she was made a mage (and even before that).
8. How does she respond to new people or situations? Is she suspicious, relaxed, timid, enthusiastic? She's timid and curious about new people, things, and situations; timid first, usually giving over to primary curiosity as she starts to get comfortable.
9. Is she more likely to act, or to react?
10. Which is her default: fight or flight? Flight. She's going to have to work on that, given the whole Grey Warden thing.
11. Describe the character's sense of humor. Does she appreciate jokes? Puns? Gallows humor? Bathroom humor? Pranks?
12. Does the character have any diagnosable mental disorders? If yes, how does she deal with them? None.
13. What moments in this character's life have defined her as a person?
14. What does she fear? The sky! No, really. Signy is scared of new things; she actually is mildly afraid of open spaces and certain weather patterns, Templars, many things she encounters in the Fade.
15. What are her hopes or aspirations?
16. What is something she doesn't want anyone to find out about her?
1. Describe this character's relationship with her parents. Her mother was her task-master first and foremost. Signovar is a driven Smith, intense about her work; the best of what Orzammar can bring out in a Dwarf, and probably among the best in her once-and-again caste. Signovar was the one who taught Signy to Smith, and the primary force that encouraged her daughter to become a mage. Signy loves her mother––and her mother loves her back, but their relationship was always as much teacher/student as it was parental.
Signy and her father Orsin, on the other hand, were… not on equal footing, but in a much kinder, gentler paradigm with each other; he was the fun parent, the one who took her to Provings and played games with her, the one who laughed at home and made fun of everyone (even his wife, behind her back). He was born a Smith, but he'd never thrived in the role.
2. Does the character have any siblings? What is/was their relationship like? She's an only child.
3. Are there other blood relatives to whom she is close? Are there ones she can't stand? Signy has two cousins of about her age, Corbin and Dervo, and they were in essence her brothers, growing up. They all played together;
4. Are there other, unrelated people whom she considers part of her family? What are her relationships with them?
5. Who is/was the character's best friend? How did they meet?
6. Does she have other close friends?
7. Does she make friends easily, or does she have trouble getting along with people?
8. Which does she consider more important: family or friends?
9. Is the character single, married, divorced, widowed? Has she been married more than once? She is single, and has never been married.
10. Is she currently in a romantic relationship with someone other than a spouse? No.
11. Who was her first crush? Who is her latest?
12. What does she look for in a romantic partner?
13. Does the character have children? Grandchildren? If yes, how does she relate to them? If no, does she want any? No children. Yet, and after the process of becoming a mage and then a Warden, it is easy to say with almost 100% certainty that there will be no children, ever.
14. Does she have any rivals or enemies? Falina was a rival of an odd sort, but after her death Signy mourns, and now is unsure precisely why they acted as they did.
15. What is the character's sexual orientation? Where does she fall on the Kinsey scale? On the Kinsey scale, Signy is somewhere in the 3-4 rage, bisexual with a mild same-sex preference.
16. How does she feel about sex? How important is it to her?
17. What are her turn-ons? Turn-offs? Weird bedroom habits?
1. Do you know your character's astrological (zodiac of choice) sign? How well does she fit type?
2. Is this character religious, spiritual, both, or neither? How important are these elements in her life?
3. Does this character have a personal code of morals or ethics? If so, how did that begin? What would it take to compromise it?
4. How does she regard beliefs that differ from hers? Is she tolerant, intolerant, curious, indifferent?
5. What prejudices does she hold? Are they irrational or does she have a good reason for them?
1. What is the character's financial situation? Is she rich, poor, comfortable, in debt?
2. What is her social status? Has this changed over time, and if so, how has the change affected her?
3. Where does she live? House, apartment, trailer? Is her home her castle or just a place to crash? What condition is it in? Does she share it with others?
4. Besides the basic necessities, what does she spend her money on?
5. What does she do for a living? Is she good at it? Does she enjoy it, or would she rather be doing something else?
6. What are her interests or hobbies? How does she spend her free time?
7. What are her eating habits? Does she skip meals, eat out, drink alcohol, avoid certain foods?
Which of the following do you associate with the character, or which is her favorite:
3. Time of day?